Milos Topic is the Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Digital Officer at Grand Valley State University. He has 24 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibilities focused primarily on technology, innovation, strategy, operations and leadership. His experiences range from startups, to Fortune 1000 companies to contributing across multiple universities (both public and private) over the past two decades. Prior to Milos’ current role as Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Digital Officer, his most recent positions were that of a Vice President and Chief Information Officer (CIO), Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and Director of Technology Services. Milos’ responsibilities and experiences have included customer experience; business development and product design; project and portfolio management; information security; network and system engineering as well as programming and development.
Milos’ formal education includes a bachelor’s degree in computer science (with a minor in mathematics); Masters of Science in Information Systems, an MBA and a Ph.D. in Business Administration where his research was focused on the role of Chief Information Officers (CIOs) in leading innovation within higher education. Additionally, Milos is a frequent speaker on leadership, innovation and building high performing teams across a wide range of national professional networks and industries. He is also frequently featured in digital and print media. Finally, Milos advises corporate boards and C-suites on business strategy, digital possibilities and innovation.
“The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine.”
– Nikola Tesla
On this site, I will share my experience, knowledge and perspectives on professional development and growth as well as on improving businesses from both strategic and operational (functional) areas. I generally focus on people and the importance for each of us to reach our full potential as I believe that we are all amazing at something – all we need to do is find what that is and act.
Here you will find my thoughts, observations, comments and questions about people, leadership, strategy, processes, policies, operations, technology…businesses in general. I will post videos (and occasionally write) about my personal and professional experiences and observations. While main focus is on people and business improvements, at times, I will post about my primary area of expertise, technology.
“I don’t care that they stole my idea…I care that they don’t have any of their own.” – Nikola Tesla
I am passionate about IT being a trusted strategic partner, an innovative leader and an advisor (a service broker if you will) to the entire organization.
HONORS & AWARDS:
- CIO of the year ORBIE award finalist
(by Michigan CIO – October 2021)
- 100 of the most influential CIOs, VPs…in today’s tech world
(by Rise Global – September 2020)
- 21 top Chief Information Officers to follow on Twitter
(by Enterprise Mobility Exchange – November 2018)
- Transforming technology leadership and the changing culture of higher education
(by View from the Edge – January 2020)
- Tech leaders on the worst career advice they ever received
(by Dice.com – July 2019)
- Prerequisites To Digital Transformation: Leadership And Culture
(by Enterprise Digitization – February 2019)
- Higher Ed Social Podcast
(by Jackie Vetrano and Lougan Bishop – January 2019)
- The role, the challenges and the responsibilities of a CIO
(by Apex Assembly – January 2019)
PRIMARY AREAS OF INTEREST:
- people (we are all amazing at something; let’s discover what that is and act on it)
- strategic leadership (greatest impact on the success and failure of organizations)
- business innovation, growth & development (organizational culture, operations, policies, talent management, training…)
- 24 years in Information Technology (IT) and Management
- 15 years of consulting C-suites and corporate boards
- 12 years of consulting leaders and managers on building innovation teams
- 8 years of mentoring aspiring executives and CIOs
- Ph.D. in Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS)
- Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
*My primary research area is strategic leadership (top management teams and boards of directors).
Thanks for reading this far and that should be enough for now. If you follow this blog, I’m sure that you’ll learn more. Since you are already here consider subscribing via RSS and even more importantly, subscribe to my newsletter.
Hopefully you will share your thoughts and opinions, as I read and value every comment.
Thanks for visiting. Have a great day!
Milos Topic, Ph.D.
Miloš Topić / Милош Топић
p.s. If there’s anything else you want to know (and I feel like sharing), please ask.
Subscribe to my newsletter